UNION COUNTY DEMOCRATIC COMMITTEE
November 20, 2017
- 7:00 PM Call to order
- Acceptance of Proxy Vote Forms*
- Introduction of New Members and Visitors
- Reminder about the new 2 meeting policy for new appointees
- Approval of minutes from last meeting – May not be any, or will report them later.
- Treasurer’s Report – Gwen Perrin
- Submit bills to be paid
- Chair’s Report – Rick Thomas
- Many thanks to all who helped in any way with the election two weeks ago. While we weren’t 100% successful, we made an impact. Taylor will report on it shortly. Perhaps the biggest impact we helped to make was just getting candidates to run. We will hopefully continue to build upon our wins, and figure out ways to avoid repeats on our losses.
- Quick comments on the Doug Jones Senate race in Alabama. A win there would cut the R majority in the Senate to 51-49, and help us to flip the Senate in 2018. If you can manage to make a contribution to the Jones campaign, please do so ASAP.
- It’s not too early to start thinking about whether or not you are interested in running for County Committee in the May Primary. Nominating petitions start circulating in February.
- Vice-Chair’s Report – Steva Stowell-Hardcastle
- State Committee Report – Rolanda Ritzman
- Next meeting is February 9th and 10th in Harrisburg. Contact Rick or Rolanda if interested in attending.
- There is information available (and recommended) for anyone considering running for State Committee in 2018. There will also be an information meeting on it at the SC meeting on Friday, 2/9, at 2:00 that afternoon.
- Commissioner’s Report – John Showers
- Unfinished Business
- Taylor’s report on our efforts in the 2017 election
- What did we do well?
- What could we have done better?
- What do we want to do during the 2018 election?
- New Business
- Updates on local rallies, forums and activities (Resistance, West End Progressives, etc.)
- Holiday get together in lieu of a December meeting – need to pick a location and evening, suggested Towne Tavern and order off the menu. Other options?
- Next regular meeting January 22, 2018. Please note that this will be the 4th Monday because the 3rd Monday is a Federal holiday (MLK Day), and the County offices are closed.
Any member of the County Committee who is unable to attend in person a meeting of the Committee may appoint a proxy, a Democratic elector resident from the absent member’s precinct and not already a member of the Committee, who shall have power to attend such meeting and vote thereat as the representative of such absent member. Any such proxy shall be in writing, signed by the member giving the same, and attested by the signature of a witness. No person shall exercise more than one proxy. Proxies are to be presented to the County Chairman during roll call when the absent member’s name is called.
Leave A Comment