The Union County Democratic Committee is “Where People Come First.” This is more than a slogan: it’s why we do what we do. We work for good government to improve the lives of real people. We believe that in finding the best solutions for everyone, we will gain the enthusiastic support of voters needed to enact those changes. We believe in a process of openness and inclusion and do our best to make decisions based upon facts, not fear.
In pursuit of putting the people first, the Union County Democratic Committee works to advance the ideals expressed in the platforms of the National and State Democratic Parties, https://democrats.org/, including:
- Raising wages in order to help close the wealth gap and to create a “sustainable wage” going forward
- Lowering health care costs and ensuring all Americans have access to quality, affordable health care
- Investing in modern education and jobs programs that prepare our kids for tomorrow’s challenges, and assisting to make sure everyone can afford access to higher education
- Promoting fair tax reforms, from the bottom up, that will support a strong middle class
- Strengthen Social Security to assure its continued viability for current and future participants
- Stabilizing Medicare and Medicaid
- Supporting our veterans and military families
- Acting to advance women’s rights, protecting access to reproductive care, fighting for equal pay, stopping violence against women, and electing more women to public office
- Enacting sensible immigration reform that keeps America’s promise alive
- Defending our borders, our ideals, and our institutions from foreign or outside interference
- Fixing our criminal justice system to eliminate systemic racism
- Guaranteeing rights for minorities, people with disabilities, the LGBTQ community, and all Americans
- Protecting and promoting every American’s fundamental right to vote
- Advancing clean energy and climate change action
- Promoting common-sense gun reforms
- Making smarter infrastructure investments
- Advancing access to liberty and equality for all
- Promoting campaign finance reform laws that reduce or eliminate massive amounts of cash being used to influence legislative processes
- Ensuring fair and balanced methods when drawing boundaries in electoral districts
While this list is not all-inclusive, it does express our intent to focus on goals that live up to our motto. We believe these are basic rights that should be guaranteed to ALL Americans when “The People Come First.”
The Union County Democratic Committee or “UCDC” is the local arm of the Pennsylvania State Democratic Committee (http://www.padems.com/), which serves as the state arm of the Democratic National Committee (https://democrats.org/). As such, we follow the guidelines set forth by our overseeing bodies and enjoy local autonomy when it comes to finding ways to promote our shared ideals and goals.
The Union County Democratic Committee (UCDC) is committed to serving the best interests of all of the people of Union County and of the Commonwealth. We work to provide the broadest possible base of participation in the affairs of the Democratic Party. Consistent with this philosophy, and as part of the rules governing the Democratic Party of Pennsylvania, the UCDC pledges:
- All public meetings at all levels of the Democratic Party are open to all registered Democrats, regardless of race, color, creed, gender, national origin, age, ethnic identity, sexual orientation or economic status.
- No test of membership in, nor any oaths of loyalty to, the Democratic Party of Pennsylvania shall be required or used that have the effect of requiring prospective or currently registered Democrats to acquiesce in, condone, or support discrimination on the grounds of race, color, creed, gender, national origin, age, ethnic identity, sexual orientation or economic status.
- The Democratic Party, on all levels, shall support the broadest possible voter registration without discrimination on any grounds.
We invite all Democrats interested in finding out more about UCDC to attend our meetings. We normally meet at 7:00 on the 3rd Monday of each month at the Union County Government Center on North 15th Street in Lewisburg.